Your skin is a major organ of your body—as important as your heart, kidneys and lungs. Its primary functions include protection, blood and lymph circulation, respiration and excretion. Unlike other vital organs, the skin can be accessed in a non-invasive manor. We wash our skin, protect it from harmful UV radiation and rub lotions on it. However, dry skin brushing is often overlooked as a technique offering many health benefits.
Even though dry skin brushing has been practiced for thousands of years, it’s not a common practice in the U.S. In addition, higher land animals will innately rub themselves against the earth, trees and other objects. Nature gets it right…
Benefits of Brushing Your Skin
- Removes dried, dead cells, which block the pores and allows your skin to “breath.”
- Stimulates your Lymphatic System—when not working properly there can be an accumulation of toxins, which make you sick.
- Increases nutrients to the skin—clearing stagnant material promotes increased oxygen/carbon dioxide exchange bringing nutrients, vitamins, minerals and enzymes to the area.
- Reduce Cellulite—dry skin brushing may reduce the density of fat deposits below the skin, thus further improving its appearance.
- Decreases the workload on the rest of your body with regards to circulation and elimination.
- It warms the skin and is sometimes compared to a light massage—releasing stress.
Skin Brushing Procedure
Dry skin brushing should be done daily with a natural bristle body brush, before bathing. Brushing in the shower (without water) is convenient and helps prevent the exfoliated skin from being distributed throughout your home.
Brushing should be done in one direction—toward your heart. Start in areas furthest from your heart (e.g. lower limbs, arms, back and then your front),.using moderate pressure. You may also brush your face with a soft complexion brush, in circular motions.
Use less pressure or avoid completely on:
- Delicate skin
- Open wounds
- Known malignancies of the skin or lymph systems
See video demonstration at: http://youtu.be/7ANy_2xWLAo