Alzheimer’s disease is the most common cause of dementia among older adults. 5.7 million Americans were living with Alzheimer’s disease in 2018. This number is projected to nearly triple to 14 million people by 2060 as the baby boomers get older. It is the fifth leading cause of death for adults aged 65-years and older and the sixth leading cause of death for all adults. For those who live to be 85-years old—1 in 3 will contract Alzheimer’s disease.
Alzheimer’s disease involves parts of the brain that control thought, memory and language. Over time it can seriously affect a person’s ability to carry out daily activities. The cause of Alzheimer’s disease is multi-factorial.
- Alzheimer’s disease is NOT a normal part of aging.
- Symptoms usually begin after age 60, but Alzheimer’s disease likely starts a decade or more before problems first appear.
- Risk factors include aging, diabetes, high blood pressure (hypertension), smoking cigarettes, sedentary lifestyle and a family history of dementia.
- Currently, there is no cure. There are pharmaceutical options for managing symptoms and care planning.
The Cost of Alzheimer’s Disease is Immense
People diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease live an average of 4-8 years after diagnosis. As the disease progresses, many will need around-the-clock care. In 2018, the cost of Alzheimer’s disease was $290 billion and its expected to grow to $1.1 trillion by 2050.
Symptoms start gradually and affect the executive functioning, which is the ability to process information and make good decisions. Problems begin with confusion about time and place, poor memory, especially with short-term, difficulty speaking and writing, poor judgment and changes in mood, like aggression and agitation.
As with most diseases. it is easier to prevent than to reverse. That is why we should take our mental health seriously and work our entire lives to prevent this horrible end of life. It ruins memories and divides families. I believe much can be prevented and reversed with natural medicine.
Prescriptions drugs do NOT reverse or cure Alzheimer’s disease. The best-case scenario is to slow its progression, however even this is unproven. The side effects also need to be considered and there are almost always side effects.
Natural and Safe Treatments for Alzheimer’s Disease
- Omega-3 fatty acids found in cod liver oil and fish oil are extremely important. I believe most people do not eat enough fish or do not have access to healthy fish to get the levels needed to support brain function.
- Hyperbaric Oxygen Treatment Chamber – The best kept secret for many things, including brain function is hyperbaric oxygen treatment. Hyperbaric oxygen treatment enhances microcirculation, reduces amyloid burden and tau phosphorylation, oxidative stress and reduces inflammation. PET scans have shown improvement in brain function with mild hyperbaric oxygen treatment.
- Herbs and Supplements – such as ginkgo biloba, phosphatidylserine, glutathione, bacopa, vitamin B12, CoQ10 and many others.
- Daily Aerobic Exercise and Yoga – This is a must. A sedentary lifestyle encourages deterioration of brain function. As little as 3-months of yoga has shown to decrease Alzheimer symptoms.
- Learn New Things – Use non dominate hand for simple tasks. Learn to type. Do crossword puzzles. Listen to music. Balancing on one leg.
- Control Your Blood Sugar Level – Diabetes is a high-risk factor in Alzheimer’s Disease. Delete all sugar from diet. Eat fruit, vegetables and good proteins.
- Sleep 8 hours a night. Sleep deprivation leads to poor focus, concentration and confusion.
- Water intake should be half your body weight in ounces (i.e., 100 pound person should drink 50 oz. of water a day) Lack of water intake can cause the brain to swell and cause cognitive impairment.
Getting Off of All Unnecessary Medications – Many prescription drugs affect the brain. Cholesterol lowering drugs (e.g., statins) have known side-effects of cognitive impairment. It is gradual, so you don’t know it is happening. So, you give up your brain to have normal cholesterol on paper? NOT a good decision. Also, there are so many better ways of reducing cholesterol than by taking drugs. Vaccines contain high levels of mercury and aluminum—known causes of dementia.
Come in for a full evaluation by doctors trained and educated in identifying risk factors that can lead to Alzheimer’s disease. We will provide you with a safe, individualized, alternative treatment plan to support your brain function. It is never too late to work on improving your health.
Alzheimer’s disease is not the memory you want to leave your family.
FEEL HEALTHY. LOOK HEALTHY. BE HEALTHY.
DR. M. Brannick ND, DC