Toxins come from air pollutants, water, the food we eat, our homes, clothing, furniture, plastics, dry cleaning and even electromagnetic frequencies. Current studies of our water supply show opioids, hormones and blood pressure medicines in low, but detectable amounts. Our blood and urine routinely test positive for over 200 chemicals. These chemicals, such as Bisphenol A (BPA), have been directly linked to type 2 diabetes, cardiovascular disease and liver dysfunction.
Low dose daily exposure of toxins build-up in our bodies over time. Additionally, many of the foods we eat as part of the standard American diet (SAD) are toxic to our health. Processed foods, additives, hormones, preservatives, pesticides and antibiotics in the food supply are all detrimental to our health. This ever increasing toxic load is taking a significant toll on our health.
Naturally, our body may store these toxins in our fat and other tissues or release them. Our blood, lymphatic system, bowel, kidney, skin, lungs and liver detoxify. The liver is the main player in detoxification.
Fortunately, our bodies are equipped to handle toxins, yet the cumulative load is becoming too much to handle. Our fat holds these toxins to protect us from their effects. This process is a factor in the rising rates of obesity as well as chronic disease. When we lose weight and burn fat, these toxins are released into circulation. These toxins may create symptoms and make it more difficult to lose weight. Toxicity is no longer a fringe problem, it is an everyday insult on our health.
What can we do to be proactive about our health?
There are many things you can do to keep your body clean!
- Keep your environment clean: Simply avoiding toxins is an effective and economic step. Take steps to keep your body and home clean. You can take off shoes in the home, use non-toxic cleaning products and organic dry cleaning. Consider turning off Wi-Fi at night or put devices in airplane mode. Go organic for your mattress and bedding, as we spend a good amount of time here.
- Nutrition: Eat organic to avoid pesticides. Emphasize nutrient rich foods, such as vegetables, berries and fruit. Avoid nutrient poor foods such as dairy, processed foods, sugar and caffeine. Drink plenty of water each day, ½ your body weight in ounces. Warm water is an excellent option during these winter months.
- Exercise: Exercise is sincerely one of the best choices you can make for your health and stimulating the detoxification process is simply one of many benefits.
- Hydrotherapy: Try a contrast shower, taking a shower ending with a cold water rinse is an excellent way to move blood through the system. We offer peat baths and Infrared sauna at the Brannick Clinic. A medicinal peat bath (from the bogs of the Highland Moors) allows the body to release toxins, while strengthening the immune system. An excellent choice, infrared sauna works on a cellular level to strengthen the body’s immune system and help the biological detoxification process. Dry skin brushing is a simple way to support the skin’s detoxification process.
- Bowel Movements: You should eliminate 1-3 times per day. If there is gas or straining, it’s time to make an appointment. Our digestion, hence elimination, is directly related to our health. Colon hydrotherapy is a great option to help eliminate toxins.
- Supplementation: Beets are an excellent food to fuel your liver and a great supplement to your diet. We offer specific botanical formulations to support your liver. In today’s world, our livers are quite taxed and can use a helping hand. We use symptoms, blood work and lab values to determine when supplements are needed.
- Detoxification Programs: We offer seasonal Detoxification Programs. These programs provide optimal nutrition and support so you may achieve a clean slate. This is recommended for a variety of conditions including excess weight and caffeine dependency. We offer custom pre-conception programs to provide the optimal environment for the developing baby in today’s world.
At Brannick Clinic we offer an exclusive 15 Day Detoxification Program which is unparalleled.This program includes two evaluations by the doctor, infrared sauna, constitutional hydrotherapy, colon hydrotherapy, abdominal lymphatic drainage and hyperbaric oxygen therapy. Our 15 Day Detoxification Program is absolutely amongst the top in the world.
We owe it to ourselves to live healthy, vibrant lives. Addressing toxins in our everyday environment is just one step of the process.
Julia Malkowski BSc, DC, ND Candidate